Welcome to the National Guard Bureau’s FOIA Requester Service Center and Privacy Office. This Requestor Service Center was designed to assist the public in making FOIA requests for National Guard Bureau records to include the National Guard’s Joint Staff, Air National Guard and Army National Guard. Our office is also available to assist individuals seeking records about themselves under the Privacy Act or to assist in complaints and compliance with the Privacy Act.
The FOIA, known by its legal cite as Title 5 U.S.C. § 552, along with the Department of Defense (DoD) Regulation 5400.7, governs how FOIA requests will be processed within the National Guard.
How to file a FOIA or Privacy Request
Please note that the filing of a FOIA or Privacy request is a personal matter. Military personnel and Federal Government Employees may not use government time or equipment to make such requests.
If you are seeking personal records on yourself under the Privacy Act you must provide a signed letter indicating the specific records you are seeking. Based on the existing retrieval practice for the records you are seeking, you may be asked to provide additional information to allow us to retrieve your record. The letter, containing your signature, can be mailed, faxed, or scanned and sent as an e-mail attachment.
Essential Elements of a FOIA Request Letter:
- Provide your full name and contact information
- Provide a reasonable description of the record(s) requested
- Provide a statement of your fee category and your willingness to pay applicable fees
- Send your request to the applicable FOIA Office (see below)
- Educational, noncommercial, scientific and media: Any accredited U.S. educational or research institution or instructor of an institution, or representative of the news media using the information in a scholarly or analytical work contributing to public knowledge and disseminated to the public.
- Commercial: Increases the commercial interest of the requestor.
- All Others: All other requestors
The FOIA provides for the collection of fees for:
- Searches: Time spent in looking for and retrieving material, either paper or electronic files, that are responsive to the request to include personnel hours (clerical and professional) and computer time.
- Reviews: Time spent to determine if the record is releasable under legal guidelines, excluding resolution of legal or policy issues. This does include time spent excising text that is exempt under FOIA.
- Reproduction: Generating a copy of a requested record in the appropriate medium, for example paper or computer file.
Fees rates and schedules can be found in DoD 5400.7, DoD Freedom of Information Act Program (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/540007r.pdf), and on the DD 2086, Record of FOI Costs (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2086.pdf).
For more information the Freedom of Information Act, please visit http://www.usdoj.gov/oip/index.html
Army National Guard (ARNG) Records
If you are seeking records within the ARNG, to include the staff of the ARNG Director, you should direct your request to the appropriate ARNG FOIA Officer using the attached directory .
If you are seeking records about yourself under the Privacy Act that are filed within a Privacy Act System of Record, you should direct your request to Chief of the Office where the records are held. If you are unsure of where your records may be located you may contact the appropriate ARNG State Privacy Manager using the list above.
Most contracts within the National Guard are Army National Guard records and are held within the state where the contract was initiated. If you have the contract number, you may use this chart to find the appropriate FOIA office to handle your request.
Requests for IG Records must be made to the ARNG Inspector General FOIA Office at:
Office of the Inspector General
1700 Army Pentagon
Washington, DC 20310-1700
Phone: (703) 545-4589 Fax: (703) 545-4585
You may also find the records you are seeking by visiting the Department of the Army Reading Room at https://www.rmda.army.mil/foia/FOIA_ReadingRoom/index.aspx
If you are still unsure who to make your request to, or if you have concerns about the service received from one of our ARNG FOIA Offices, you may contact the ARNG FOIA Officer, Ms. Jennifer Nikolaisen, at (703) 607-3195 or by e-mail at .email@example.com..
Other Commonly Requested Records
For inquiries on background investigations and personnel records for former NGB, ARNG and ANG employees, please reference: http://www.opm.gov/efoia/html/foia_contacts.asp
For inquiries on retired, separated, and deceased military personnel records (including Army and Air National Guardsmen), please reference: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html
For inquiries on Department of the Army (Non-Guard) records, please reference: https://www.rmda.army.mil/foia/RMDA-FOIA-Division.html
For inquiries on Department of the Air Force (including Air National Guard) records, please reference: http://www.foia.af.mil/offices/
For inquiries on National Guard Bureau (Joint DoD Activity) records, please visit http://www.nationalguard.mil/sitelinks/foia.aspx#whereFOIA